Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Letter from Romeo

June 18, 1364


Dearest father,


It is to mine most displeasure that I write to thou today with most gruesome news. In a few short moments I will be cutting mine own life short. I feel that there is nay a reason f'r me to go on with mine misery any longer. Mine own life and its lovely pleasures art overshadow'd by the ongoing family feud between us Montagues and the Capulets. Juliet, mine love sits hither deceased, for whom I can't live without. And the only explanation for her fate being that the rivalry hath come between our love once more. Argal, I hast decided that my life itself is not worth the pains and miseries anymore.




Juliet is the one person that I hold near and dear to mine heart, and she hath been taken from me forever. I canst comprehend why thou own grudges art more important to thou than thy son's happiness.  It hurts me to think that thou could'st think so dram of thy son. I wilt draw the line after mine bride's murder. Ay 'tis true, Juliet and I art spouses; but spouses nay longer. And with her death, dies mine hopes and soon mine body will fall too. I sh'ant blame my bride's death solely on you father, for there art many more culprits to this crime than you. These instances of grief wast out of mine hands and I wish I might hast done something differently to prevent the occurrences.

Though mine bride's death and mine loneliness art a heavy factor in mine decision of suicide, there is another part to it. 'Tis something that hath been crushing mine soul ere since the occasion. I hast been rightly accused guilty of the murder of a rival Capulet. Tybalt be his name. At the time of the mortal arbitrament, I was raging, driven from adrenaline and impulse. I assure thou father, had I been sensible, I may not be saying goodbye right anon. However, the past is nothing but memories presently and mine mistakes cannot be rectified. I feel that the only appropriate punishment for mine wrongdoings is to be executed. I hath taken a fellow man's life and shall pay for the murder with mine own. I will save thy sad feelings and mine guilt by performing the meet punishment myself.


'Tis with great sorrow that I wilt write mine final words to thou. I am apologetic of all the strain I hast put on the family. I hope mine death may come as inspiration for the Montagues to learn to accept the Capulets. Finally, I wilt withdraw from mine pen and paper to doth the deed that is imminent. I love you father.

                                                       My final regards, Romeo

Sources

Avalon. Juliet-0. Photograph. n.d. 

Glogster. Tybalt with sword. Photograph. n.d.

Shakespeare, William. "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet." Prentice Hall Literature Timeless Voices,                       Timeless Themes. Eds. Bowler, Ellen, et al. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 1999. Print. 695-774.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment